Worker Injured in Explosion Prevented from Boarding

Sexual harassment, non-payment of salary, injured in Beirut blast, detained at the airport, and imprisoned due to a false accusation.


Precious Obasi Nkeuri

Governmental Organization

General Security


Precious Obasi Nkeuri traveled from Nigeria to Lebanon on 28 May 2019. She needed employment in order to pay for her young children’s education in Nigeria. She was told she would be doing office work, so she arrived with books that would be important for her work. But she was required to do domestic work which was unfamiliar to her. 

Initially she was moved from house to house, mistreated and underpaid. She says she began with her 3rd employer, Um Fadi, a supermarket owner in Hermel, in July and ran away just before Christmas due to sleep deprivation, lack of food and sexual harassment from two of her madam’s male relatives. She claims they owe her 4 months’ salary.

In Beirut, she then spent 7 months trying to survive, doing freelance work. Due to the economic collapse, work was intermittent at best. She was barely able to cover her living expenses and could send nothing home for her children. But her situation was about to deteriorate further. 

On 4 August 2020 she was injured in the Beirut blast. She wrote,

“The explosion threw me in the air. I saw dead bodies.”

She went to the hospital, but her treatment was inadequate, and with glass shards in her arm, hands and shoulder, she went to the embassy to request repatriation. A flight was arranged, but postponed several times.

On 17 August she posted, ”I'm at the airport but they won't allow 5 of us to board because our madams reported us as runaways. If you don't hear from me again, I'm in prison." She was accused of stealing from her employer, then detained and incarcerated, still with glass in her arm. She never saw her bags containing her clothing, the books she valued or her important personal documents again.

This is Lebanon posted information on Twitter about Precious’ detention, which  received wide attention. Precious was released, and on 1 September she wrote, “God bless you for saving me out of prison.” However, her situation remained dire. On 5 September she wrote, “I will kill myself here. I will take poison and go and die in the embassy. I’m just weary and tired of this horrible life. I don't have any money for food. The little I have was wasted on Corona tests.”

This Is Lebanon supported Precious with a food package, paid for her next pcr test (her 4th) and arranged medical treatment to remove the glass from her arms before she finally flew home to Nigeria on 9 September. 

She was grateful for the assistance but left with huge regrets for ever having gone to Lebanon. She was relieved to be able to return home, but came back with less than she left after losing her books, clothes and important official papers. She was appalled at the lack of medical care, incredulous that the Lebanese government should allow such enslavement and, most of all, that General Security should detain women at the airport on trumped up, unproven charges. 

The People

I will kill myself here. I will take poison and go and die in the embassy.” - Precious

Precious Obasi Nkeuri


We can't do this alone. We need your help! Join us in this fight.

Contact the Sponsors

Talk to the {NAME} and ask them to {DO SOMETHING AS DESCRIBED HERE}.

Share the Story

Tell others about this. Join us in the fight to ensure that {NAME} are brought to justice.

Join Our Work

We need your help to continue our efforts in fighting for {NAME} and others like her.

Get the Updates

Get the updates straight into your inbox so you don't miss any part of the story.



سافرت "بريشس أوباسي نكوري" من نيجيريا إلى لبنان في 28 أيار 2019. كانت بحاجة إلى عمل لدفع تكاليف تعليم أطفالها الصغار في نيجيريا. قيل لها أنها ستعمل في مكتب، لذا جاءت محمّلة بالكتب التي ستكون مهمة لعملها. إلا أنه طُلِبَ منها القيام بأعمال منزلية والتي لم تكن مألوفة بالنسبة لها.

في البداية تم نقلها من منزل إلى آخر، وتعرضت لسوء المعاملة، وحصلت على أجر زهيد. بدأت مع صاحبة العمل الثالثة، أم فادي، صاحبة سوبر ماركت في الهرمل، في تموز، وهربت قبل عيد الميلاد بقليل بسبب الحرمان من النوم وقلّة الطعام والتحرش الجنسي من قبل رجلين من أقارب سيدتها. وأم فادي مدينة لها برواتب أربعة أشهر.

أمضت بعد ذلك في بيروت سبعة أشهر تحاول العيش، وتعمل لحسابها الخاص. بسبب الانهيار الاقتصادي، كان العمل متقطعاً في أحسن الأحوال. وبالكاد تمكنت من تغطية نفقات معيشتها ولم يكن بمقدورها إرسال أي شيء إلى أطفالها في الوطن. لكن كان وضعها على وشك أن يتدهور أكثر.

في 4 آب 2020 أصيبت في انفجار بيروت. كتبت لنا:

"لقد رماني الانفجار في الهواء. رأيت جثثاً"

ذهبت إلى المستشفى، لكن علاجها لم يكن كافياً، وذهبت إلى السفارة وشظايا الزجاج في ذراعها ويديها وكتفها لتطلب إعادتها إلى الوطن. وبعد أن تم تنظيم رحلة جوية، تأجلت عدة مرات.

كتبت منشوراً في 17 آب: "أنا في المطار لكنهم لن يسمحوا لخمسة منا بالصعود على متن الطائرة لأن سيداتنا قدّمن بلاغاً بأننا هاربات. إذا لم تسمعوا أي أخبار عني من جديد، أكون في السجن". لقد اتهمتها صاحبة العمل بالسرقة، ثم تم توقيفها وسجنها، والزجاج في ذراعها. لم ترَ مرة أخرى حقائبها التي وضّبت فيها ملابسها و كتبها القيّمة و حتى وثائقها الشخصية الهامة.

نشر "هذا لبنان" على تويتر معلومات عن اعتقال بريشس، وحصل على 70 ألف مشاهدة. تم الإفراج عن بريشس، وفي 1 أيلول كتبت لنا: "بارك الله فيكم لأنكم أنقذتموني من السجن."

بقي وضعها أليماً. في 5 أيلول كتبت: "سأقتل نفسي هنا. سآخذ السم وأذهب وأموت في السفارة. لقد سئمت وتعبت من هذه الحياة المروعة. لا أملك المال لشراء الطعام. فالقليل الذي كان لدي أنفقته هدراً على اختبارات كورونا."

دعم "هذا لبنان" بريشس بصندوق مواد غذائية، ودفع تكلفة اختبار PCR التالي (وهو الرابع لها) وأمّن معالجة طبية لإزالة الزجاج من ذراعيها قبل أن تعود أخيراً إلى عائلتها في نيجيريا في 9 أيلول.

وأعربت عن امتنانها لجمعية "هذا لبنان"، لكنها رحلت وهي تشعر بالندم الشديد على سفرها إلى لبنان. شعرت بالارتياح لتمكنها من العودة إلى وطنها، لكنها فقدت كتبها وملابسها وأوراقها الرسمية الهامة. لقد صُعِقَت من نقص الرعاية الطبية، واستنكرت سماح الحكومة اللبنانية بمثل هذا الاستعباد، والأهم من هذا كله، قيام الأمن العام باعتقال النساء في المطار بتهم ملفّقة وغير مثبتة.


We depend on your donation to fight for domestic workers in Lebanon.